Friday, January 21, 2005

LEA report and a cold Friday

First a bit of news about the LEA. We had a visit last November (after de-regging P in September) and received the ‘report’ on Wednesday. It is a pretty minimal thing, just a page of A4 listing some of the things we showed the inspector. It’s all very nice but still manages to get my back up somehow! It feels like we are being given a school report – and we are being ‘approved’. P really wanted the visit but D and I had our doubts. It was certainly a strange experience. The inspector assumes that she will be back next year, but we’ll see…

Today has been cold and grey here. The time of year is getting us all down a bit. Somehow it’s hard to believe that we will just go out in t-shirts in a few months, laze on the beach, or wander in the park. Leo is starting a new cold – streaming nose and a bit hot.

We went off to the library today and had a good time. I think we are settled on our branch library home which should last us until the new main library opens. Today we borrowed lots of books including two more in the Captain Underpants series. I read one of them to the kids this afternoon as we all snuggled in bed, escaping the weather. Actually I had to share the reading with P as I kept nodding off!

L read a whole page in a book today. It was very short and simple, with lots of repetition, but he really got the idea and just managed to keep going. He has figured out that when ‘sounding out’ fails (as it so often does in English!) he needs to think about the word, what would make sense, and look for other clues. All good stuff.

Well, as they are finally in bed I think D and I might actually try to exchange two words uninterrupted…

2 comments:

merry said...

I got the same and felt the same about it, this week. One page of simple reply, listing a few things in my report and even more dumbly, a remark that "Frances seems to be a happy girl and is smiling in the photo" - well, that's the welfare issue out of the way then *rolls eyes*

Allie said...

That's astonishing! My fav bit on our report was about how pleased the inspector was to see that P had been working hard. Glad she was pleased but really nothing to do with her. All feels a bit patronising I think. But the comment on your report must win the prize! Well done for having a daughter who smiles...