Monday, February 28, 2005

Manic Monday

Today was our HE group day. Dani went off to work and I (slowly) got the kids up and dressed.

We have fallen into a bit of a pattern of watching the classTV on the CBBC channel in the morning. This is not a bad thing in itself as lots of the programmes are excellent. Pearl particularly enjoys the primary history and Leo and I were gripped by a new Look and Read story today. I remember watching Look and Read at school when I was about eight and I enjoyed it then. The stories are well done, rather in the tradition of good BBC children’s drama, with just a short bit of tedious ‘teaching’ in the middle. It amuses me that I can remember my eight year old self wishing they’d get on with that bit quick so we could continue the story – and I felt much the same today! Today’s story involved time slipping, a old diary and spooky Victorian building. But the down side of watching the schools tv is that we often have to tear ourselves away if we need to get somewhere in the morning.

Our theme at group today was part one of a two week stint on books. We also tried out a beginning circle of kids and adults to share news and introduce the theme and any activities on offer. This is new, and a lot of our kids are quite young, so it was quite challenging - but I think it brought the group together a bit and got us off to a good start. Leo astonished me by opening up his folder of newly drawn comics and explaining them to the group – very confident and self-assured. Strangely he was also quite fragile today. I think this fits with my current understanding of him. He is able to be very grown up in short bursts but finds it very tiring. After lunch people settled to various activities. Pearl was able to show some people a neat little book she can make out of a single sheet of paper. She also sat happily playing patience when she ran out of things to do. She was a real star as she so often is these days. She is suddenly much more grown up and very sociable. Sadly we had to leave early to get P and L to the dentist.

On the way from the bus stop to our house (to drop off group stuff before walk to dentist’s) Leo decided to throw a huge strop about the fact that I was not going to buy sweets at that very moment. Quite apart from my reluctance to buy sweets just before a dentist trip I was unable to buy them as I had NO money on me. HE group subs and bus fares had cleaned me out. Somehow I remained very calm (if a bit fed up) as we trudged along the road while he shrieked at me. It is a sad fact that he has a tendency to be a bit comical in his fury. Today he alternated between telling me to go away and never speak again and then demaning I come back as he was talking to me. His anger crumpled up as soon as we got through the door and he flopped about eating bread and butter and drinking milk. I think the very cold weather is tiring us a bit. Ten or fifteen minute walks (which we often have to do several times a day) are just so much more tiring when the weather is bitter.

We met D at the dentist where she and the kids were duly checked and sent on their way. It is great that the kids like the dentist and generally come away with praise and a sticker. Leo seems to be hanging on to his recently loosened teeth.

Once home we nearly forgot Woodcraft Folk for P. She arrived a few minutes late but had a good time – playing games and seeing friends.Kids are finally reliably in bed and I think we will watch a that grissly Wire in the Blood thing which we have taped. Our new bed is due tomorrow – thank god. The rocky sofa bed in the kitchen is getting a bit tedious…

2 comments:

Allie said...

Just realised I had typed 'more good' and attempted to correct this excellent use of language but blogger won't let me. Just keeps hanging. Ho hum...

Allie said...

Just realised I had typed 'more good' and attempted to correct this excellent use of language but blogger won't let me. Just keeps hanging. Ho hum...