Thursday, February 17, 2005

Things went wrong, but we were OK

Today started fine. I don’t have to get up for work on Thursdays, so we all slept in and got up slowly. Allie was a bit migraine-y, but decided to take the pills and hope it wore off.

She took Pearl and her cousin S over to the grandmothers’ house for the usual weekly visit, then went on to work from there.

Leo and I watched the Mummy: the inside story programme that we had taped last night, and L. rebuilt his tomb with more elaborate details. I was puzzled about why the Egyptians didn’t preserve brains. The programme said they had no idea of the function of the brain, but this seems odd to me. They obviously took a great interest in anatomy, and had identified other organs as being important. Did they not notice the effects of injury to the brain?

This took up the whole morning, then we headed over to Hove Museum where there was supposed to be a cartoonist doing caricatures for £1. This was to tie in with their current exhibition, about Leo Baxendale, creator of the Bash Street Kids and Minnie the Minx. Naturally, the place was packed, but there was no cartoonist in sight – they just hadn’t turned up and the event was cancelled. I was a bit disappointed with the exhibition too – it was all just pages from the Beano and the odd bigger picture, in glass cases on the wall, way above Leo’s head. I would have had to carry him all the way round, but he didn’t seem that interested in it, so we went upstairs to the wonderful toy gallery instead.

We bumped into Pearl etc there; they had come for the same event. L. didn’t really enjoy it with all the crowds – it’s normally much more peaceful when we go. We popped to the museum shop then went home.

More Egyptology followed, and I finished his cardigan (hooray!) except for the buttons. It’s a bit shapeless, but it seems to fit him alright and he’s pleased with it.

P. was returned to us about an hour later. We played hangman, played games on the internet, and investigated some new resources that arrived today – a set of ‘onset and rime’ blocks and a ‘pick and mix’ story writing tool, both from Philip and Tacey. Not sure quite how we’ll use these, but they both look interesting.

While all this was going on, I was phoned first by my work, to tell me I’ll be on my own there tomorrow morning as everyone else is sick, then by Allie, whose migraine had got the better of her, to say she was coming home early from work. Then my work colleague knocked on the door on her way home, to say the fuse had blown at work and there was no power there. So I’ve had an evening of phoning various people to make plans for sorting out the power and arranging emergency childcare tomorrow in case A. isn’t better.

But I managed to keep the kids on side; P. got a go on the Dav Pilkey website and I read Leo the second half of Captain Underpants and the Big Bad Battle of the Bionic Booger Boy (Part 1). They’ve gone to bed fairly silently, with a little bit of Carrie’s War for P, and kisses all round. Now I’ve just got to tackle the washing up!

No comments: