The sun came out today, so the kids and I went to our beach hut in Hove,
Quite windy on the seafront!
where P. rode her cousin's bike up and down the promenade for a bit, and we spent a bit of time watching the waves and making little films of each other on the digital camera.
This evening, we finally found the Discovery Kids channel and P. & L. sat glued to two episodes of Mystery Hunters. Leo (possibly for the first time ever) actually made something out of cardboard boxes, rather than describing what he wanted made and doing something else while one of us makes it.
Following a wonderfully generous gift of a box of books from our (newly HEing!) next door neighbour, P. has rediscovered her Lemony Snicket passion, and asked for the Unauthorised Autobiography for her bedtime story. Leo and Allie finished reading The Illustrated Treasury of Fairy Tales, which they have both enjoyed very much. A. was thrilled to find that one of the illustrators they had admired most, Roberto Innocenti, was self-taught. Leo, who has already illustrated several of his own books, was not so impressed by this news!
Other highlights of the last few days have been:
- P. and L. playing very beautifully with their Sylvanians this morning. They set up a big encampment just inside the front door, which I think is in preparation for a tea party for P's birthday in two weeks' time.
- Aforementioned box of books arriving. Our neighbours have been great over the years, keeping us supplied with loads of great books their children have outgrown. The last lot included three editions of the Guinness Book of Records, which P. fell upon with glee, a couple of books by David Almond, and one set in the Isles of Scilly, where we are planning a holiday in June, a complete set of Lemony Snicket, plus loads more that look very interesting.
- An expedition to deliver party invitations to friends living in the local neighbourhood. I photocopied the street map and marked the addresses with stickers, then P. guided us around the route and L. found the right house number when we got to each street.
- Both P. and L. working very confidently on the computer to write a story (L.) and search on the internet for pictures of Sylvanians (P.).
- P. making and photographing lovely domino constructions.
- A fruitful visit to the library on Friday, followed by a calm quiet afternoon of pottering.