Wednesday, May 11, 2005

Titty Tuesday and Wobbly Wednesday

Tuesday

Tuesday morning Dani went to work and the kids and I went to celebrate the 10th birthday of the Brighton Breast-feed drop-in. This is a wonderful mother-to-mother support group that both Dani and I used when we were breastfeeding. We thought it was so valuable we worked as volunteers for the drop-in for a couple of years and only stood down last year. I don't think I'd have made it through cracked nipples without the support of the drop-in. It was the first place I ever saw a four year old breastfeeding. I saw exhausted and worried women work out their own solutions. It is amazing that the drop-in has an ever changing pool of volunteers and has often been on the edge of closing – but it has gone on for ten years.

I guess there were about sixty women, babies and children in the community centre and spilling over into the garden – and one man from the Department of Public Health! We didn't stay long as it was fairly manic – but I was glad we showed our faces, and saw some nice women I haven't seen for a while. The kids enjoyed eating booby biscuits with icing nipples. It was a bit odd to see several women who have kids exactly Leo's age and of course they are at school now. I had that conversation about HE several times. I find it difficult at the moment as it seems impossible to sum up our lives in response to a casual question. I can't think of positive responses to questions like 'Oh, I couldn't do that – I do admire you' or 'what made you want to do that then?' It reminds me of when P was born and friends said 'what's it like now you've got a baby?'

Tuesday also included a visit to a local cousin's house for a play and some clay creation painting (Pearl) and treasure chest creation (Leo). In the evening we played rummy and Leo finally chose NOT to watch Power Rangers. P still watched it but I hope it may be that his obsession is waning. I don't really object to it on principle but I just hate the crap dialogue and the grunting noises. Leo did some more painting on his egg box treasure chest.

Oh, and I nearly forgot a lovely bit. I read the whole of this to Leo, Pearl and Dani. Everyone listened in silence and we were all very pleased with it. How can Michael Morpurgo evoke such a wonderful sense of place and character with such sparing language? I love it. I borrowed some books from work with suggested learning activities based on the book but most of them look like they'd kill the kids' enjoyment of the story. I think our main activity will probably be our up and coming holiday to the Isles of Scilly.

Pearl stayed up reading the whole of a book called the Sandbag Secret and this meant a late start to

Wednesday

This morning was HE disaster zone day. First we failed to make fog in a bottle as wedging an ice cube in the bottle neck is not possible if your ice cubes are shaped like dolphins. Then I couldn't get a new ink cartridge to load in the printer and Leo was thwarted in his desire to make an Ancient Egyptians lap book. Mind you, he did watch a fab documentary on the search for a lost pharaoh's tomb. He also read a frog and toad story with me – taking it turns to read. P was off in her room counting her money and then playing with her Sylvanians.

When Dani got home for lunch I vented all my worries. PMT and impending migraine were making me a bit apocalyptic and I was doubting that the kids (especially P) had enough interesting things to do. Of course at that moment P chose to finish her lunch and proceeded to measure the length of the kitchen and then write it down in metres, centimetres and then millimetres. This was a propos of nothing and a very happy Pearlie thing to do – so I shut up.

We all looked at the bacteria that have grown on the agar plates we started at the weekend. The toilet seat handle yielded a horrible crop of things that looked really sickening. The kids mouths also gave us some interesting things. I would have liked to look at some under a microscope but we don't have one – better put that on the wish list.

Anyway, I took my hormones to work and Dani took the kids to capoeira – which they enjoyed this week.

Dani and Leo are off to a new museum in the basement of the town hall tomorrow. It is the old police cells of the town and is apparently haunted by the ghost of a murdered chief constable. Leo is very excited!

2 comments:

a said...

Hi again neighbour!
LOL at the dolphin ice-cubes. We did plastic bottle and water stuff today too. I'm a bit shocked to hear Leo might be losing his Power Rangers obsession, it's been a little feature of your blog that has become kind of comforting and familiar!
And yes, in reply to your last comment on mine, 'aunties' G and S are very likely who you think they are, as I do know that they know you, or know of you. And they get their decision next week...
Will try to get to Queens Park some time, sounds good.
Ali

Heather said...

So how have you grown the bacteria exactly? Sounds like a Pip kind of thing! I'll be away to HESFES but would like to do that with Pip when we get back.

Wish I'd had access to B/F drop in when Pip was small- all those months of struggling and it was all sooo much easier with Titch and the NCT! Ah well, hindsight's a beautiful thing ;-)

And, frankly, if you think your kids "don't have enough interesting things to do", then I'm doomed!! :-)
Reviewing is good though, I'm having a pondering patch...