Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Thinking Blogger Award

There's this meme doing the rounds, called The Thinking Blogger award. Sharon tagged us – in a very charming and complimentary manner too, so thanks for that. If she hadn't tagged us I would have included her in my five - a lot to learn there.

The official rules for participation in the Thinking Blogger Awards meme are as follows:
1. If, and only if, you get tagged, write a post with links to 5 blogs that make you think
2. Link to this post so that people can easily find the exact origin of the meme
3. Optional: Proudly display the ‘Thinking Blogger Award’ with a link to the post that you wrote.
(Skipped that bit !)

I am something of a creature of habit when it comes to blogs and often think I should venture further afield. But here, in no particular order, are my five blogs that make me think.

Gill’s blog is very important to me. From the first day I found it I realised that it was going to be a source of much food for thought. I think Gill has impressive synthesising and analytical skills and I love the way she is never shy of her own conclusions. I think she has a very wide readership because of that.

Woman of the Tiger Moon is my second nominated blog. I find a lot here to learn from and love the photographs that Beth includes – like looking out the back door of a friend who happens to live on the other side of the world. I find Beth’s reflections on gender constructs to be particularly fascinating as this is a subject close to my heart.

Carlotta at Dare to Know gives me all the vital campaigning gen in the home ed universe.

I am also a regular reader at Homely Education – another home edder outside the UK. EF documents the pleasures and perils of life in the country, which is all highly educational for a city girl like me. She’s also great for a larf…

The final blog is not one I’m really tagging, as such, as I am a confirmed lurker there! This blog makes me think because it’s a home ed blog that feels like it is from a parallel universe – rather than just another country. The blog author is clearly someone with an immense devotion to her children and a determination to do right by them, which I find interesting and admirable qualities. I have no doubt that we would disagree on more or less every aspect of parenting - in fact, perhaps more or less every aspect of life! But I think it is healthy not to surround yourself with the words of people who agree with you - and you have to admire this lady’s baking too!

So, there’s my five picks. I could have given you many more but I hope I’ve gone for contrast. Ooops! Except that they are all home edders. Ah well….

4 comments:

Beth: said...

Allie, thank you so much :-) I am shyly flattered! (I've been tagged for this one before, so I might ponder for a bit before doing it again).

Thanks again.

Gill said...

Oh wow, thanks! What a lovely thing to say :-)
Am I allowed to re-tag you? ;-)
LOL I know, that'd be cheating..!

'EF' said...

Yes, wow *ahem* (clearing throat bashfully) thanks for the link and tag...will do the post asap :)

And I only found Beth today through linking from a comment she made and I think she also has a lovely readable blog...also that she has home schooled her eldest all the way through..a real inspiration. I know what you mean, Gill, about the retagging :)

Carlotta said...

Thanks Allie.

Yep...if the rules really do disallow it, I will have to make it quite clear that I would have returned the tag!

Am also just off to check out two of the links with which I am not familiar...so thanks for that as well.