Friday, July 20, 2007

Rant!

I’ve been reading some debate recently about the government’s proposal to force single parents to work outside the home. I’m not really surprised about this – it fits with their crazy aim to force parents to work all hours and spend most of their wages on childcare. What does surprise me is when parents in couples feel the need to tut and wag the finger at single parents and moan about how ‘they pay their taxes…’ and ‘lazy single parents spend all day watching daytime tv…’ Why say such things? Do people really think that they are being ripped off, that life as a single parent on benefits is some kind of con, being perpetrated on them? Here’s what I’d like to say to them, if it wasn’t too rude to make it past the moderators!

“If it’s so great, then why not just hand in your notice, get rid of your partner and jump on the gravy train? If that doesn’t sound appealing then maybe you should just shuddup!”

If you are a parent how can you not accept that there is plenty of useful work being done by people at home raising their children? If a parent wants to be there for their child, isn’t that a good thing? I also think that there are selfish reasons to defend this principle. Newsflash!! You never know what might happen in your future! Sitting smug thinking that you have ‘a nice house, big car, partner with a high wage’ is really so very, very unwise. Life throws up surprises – relationships break down and people die. If I ended up as a single parent then I’d give up work in a flash if our home educating depended on it. I want to know that this would still be possible in the brave new Brown world.

10 comments:

Gill said...

LOL yes I've seen some spectacular stereotyping going on re this issue recently too! I just rolled my eyes at most of it. Maybe I should have a rant too - am kind of working up to it slowly ;-)

Ruth said...

Yes I agree. The stereotpying is awful. I used to be as ingle parent, am not now but as you say who knows what the future will bring. All children should have the right to a parent to be there for them and all single parents should be able to care for them and not be forced into work. I am also cynical as to what sort of work single parents will be expected to do if this goes through:( I cannot see how the majority will be any better off.

Pearl said...

Dani, you have been tagged by me.


You know the rules.

Liza said...

very good post and i totally agree. I am a single parent and am fed of of being stereotyped for it. yes i am no longer with my childs dad, yes i claim benefits, but we are not all chain smoking cider drinking baby producing for free housing chavs!!! NO I BLOODY WELL WILL NOT STICK MY CHILD INTO SCHOOL FOR 6 HOURS OF FREE CHILDCARE PER DAY SO THAT I CAN EARN MINIMUM WAGE AND BE NO BETTER OFF THAN I AM NOW!!! grrrrrr! (Rant over!)

Beth: said...

Comparisons can indeed be odious, but ....Here in the US, in the state in which I live, a woman who qualifies for welfare is allowed to receive it for 12 weeks after the birth of her child. After that she needs to be working 30 hours or more per week. Quality childcare for babies is almost impossible to find. Not to mention decent jobs. There's a little variation in the rules amongst states, but not much.

I hope I don't sound unsympathetic: in fact I agree completely that children need a parent at home and that governments ought to help facilitate that when families can't afford it on their own, but still ... seven years sounds like a dream :-(

Beth: said...

I mean to say, she needs to be working 30 hours per week in order to qualify for any further benefits, such as food stamps, state health insurance etc. Insanity.

Elaine said...

They are off their rockers totally!!,
Firstly why are they saying '7 '?- methinks we will find (if we search hard enough) guidelines circulating within the next few months to police, social workers, teachers etc advising that if a child appears to be 'self managing' they are to find out if the parent is working , if so they will be told not to raise any alarms.
secondly how are they going to handle the rise in crime- burglary (plenty of empty houses),shoplifting and definitely prostitution will rocket as some parents seek alternative income.
Thirdly -do the middle classes really want this? (after all they are just trying to attract the more conservative voter and think this will appeal).
Finally- did they not aught to put the C.S.A (or whatever it's replacement is) in order first? how can they have the audacity to demand the parent with care work whilst in so many cases they are allowing the absent parent to absolve themselves totally of financial responsibility

a said...

Very very well said

Allie said...

Sadly, Elaine, I think this will attract quite a lot of voters. I too have wondered if those seeking illegal sources of income will go up though.

Beth, I wondered if anyone from across the pond would point out how 'lucky' we've been up to now. I know that it is another world over there when it comes to things like this. This is one of the reasons why I think we need to be aware of what the welfare state has done for many ordinary people when we're slagging off the state.

Debbie Pritchard said...

well said x