Thursday, October 18, 2007

By popular request...

... here are some pictures of the origami snappers I made for Leo's Woodcraft Folk group on Monday.

My past experience with this group has shown me that trying to actually do origami there is a mistake, so I made all the snappers in advance, but did take along the instructions and some paper in case anyone wanted to know how to make them. With fewer/different children and more time, making the snappers from scratch would be very easy. Here's a link to the diagrams.

Leo's food chain was plant - freshwater invertebrate - fish - dog



Here's the dog's satisfied face when he's eaten all the others!



I did nectar - bee - blackbird - cat (thought my cat would insist on looking like a mouse!)

Each size of snapper is made from paper half the size of the next biggest one. So the dog started as A4 paper, the fish A5, the freshwater invertebrate A6, and my bee was A7. The tiny plants were a different model, called a snap hexahedron, which I know from a book, so I can't link to the diagram. Email me or leave your addy in a comment if you really want to know how to make it.

2 comments:

Kirsty said...

Ooh I like them, might hve to give it a go one day. Thanks.

Beth said...

Oh, this is great -- thanks for posting the photos/instructions. My kids looked over my shoulder and exclaimed, "Let's do that mama!" It's just the sport of thing they enjoy ... Well, now I know what we'll be doing ....