Tuesday, October 02, 2007

In the billiard room with the lead piping…

Oooer, that looks a bit suspect now, like a scene from a film on the Movies for Men channel - not that I ever watch such things... ahem...


Anyway...

We won an old game of Cluedo on ebay the other day, which came this morning. I can remember playing it when I was roughly Leo’s age and I remember that I was often rather unsure what I was doing. I was even known to accuse someone who was in my own hand and then be embarrassed in front of all the family when the truth was revealed. It was a shock to find that it is really quite a straightforward game! I think you could pay very close attention to everyone’s guesses and get there very quickly but you can also just work through your own processes of guesses and elimination and get there pretty fast that way too. It has a real advantage over Monopoly in that it doesn’t take three hours! I have decided that more board games is a family need for the winter and it’s great if we can pick them up cheap on ebay.

Lots of the local home edders are away on a trip to CAT this week. We couldn't afford that - not enough money or leave available. As Pearlie and Leo’s band members are both away they each had a one to one session today. Pearlie was enthusiastic about that so I think we’ll need to find time/money to fit those in for her sometimes. No-one was in the park so we came home. It is very grey and chilly here today.

I am waiting for a second visit from the Tesco delivery driver, hopefully this time with all our fridge stuff. Yogurt features heavily in the kids’ snack repertoire, as do Innocent smoothies, so I hope he returns. Humus is P’s preferred source of protein at the moment too - so we need that food. Leo eats eggs, all kinds of cheese, beans of many types and veggie sausage/quorn type products. But P has always been a carb eater, primarily. She would happily live on raw veggies, fruit, bread products and plain rice and pasta. I fret about iron and protein but no doubt she’s getting what she needs, one way or another. Wholemeal bread and humus sandwiches go a long way towards calming my fears on both scores though…

Both the kids do choose to spend a fair amount of their money on sweets. But I am a real chocoholic so can’t complain. I ate tons of sweets as a kid and remember the joy of having 10p to spend on Black Jacks, Fruit Salad and Flying Saucers – so it has never been something we worry about with the kids. I have a mouth full of fillings but, so far, P has only had one small filling and Leo none. I suspect that is because we are very vigilant about tooth cleaning, especially at night. We still help Leo ‘finish off’ which I think makes a hell of a difference.

Pearlie spent her book token yesterday (a present from my mum) on Ann Boleyn and Me, which she is enjoying. The My Story series has been great for P. Leo finished Forever Autumn– quite a challenging read for a little person. I am glad that he is happy to read those Doctor Who books himself because I struggled with the one I read to him – not really my cup of tea. I am enjoying having an Edge Chronicles book to read to him again.

I blew the rest of my birthday voucher on The Complete Mrs Bradley Mysteries, which I thought might not be too scary for P to share with us. I am rather partial to Diana Rigg. I also bought a two DVD set of Victoria Wood as seen on TV. I taped all those off the TV when I was a teenager but the tapes have gradually got worn and lost. I am looking forward to the ‘two soups’ sketch and the shoe shop with ‘hens in the skirting board’…

4 comments:

Nic said...

Ooh I love Victoria Wood. I'm thinking of organising a group camp near CAT in March or April next year for four nights with a trip to CAT on the agenda. Let me know if you might be up for it, I've not organised dates or got final prices yet.

Em said...

and we're rather partial to Diana Rigg here too! I think R wishes she was Emma Peel. We're also partial to boardgames, and have gotten some of our best ones from charity shops.

HelenHaricot said...

we like playing games here too. we have a dinosaur ludo alike that is a firm fav with SB. also tortoise and hare is a good game. but I agree with em, charity shops or when tescos sell them post xmas cheaply!!!
we also have some great games BB can play too.
and i think my word verification is czech today!

Gill said...

LOVE Cluedo! Love it love it love it.