Tuesday, January 22, 2008

A musical education - of a sort...

Pearlie has been keen to listen to some of my old vinyl for a while, to get ideas for Squeezebox. I've had a lovely morning introducing the kids to (read: inflicting on the kids) a wide range of stuff from my (and D's) old collection. They've had some Beatles, Bowie, Joan Armatrading, Soft Cell (bedsitter - brilliant!), Pretenders, and now Yazz! Anyone else remember drunken leaping about on dancefloors to The Only way is Up? Leo prefers ballads and Pearlie likes things fast and jolly! If I had a way to play tapes (apart from my ancient walkman) then they'd get to hear even more. I'm planning to sit down with my old video of Eurthymics Savage one day soon. Annie Lennox at her most chameleon like and wonderful. I think they really want me to stop now - especially the singing along - but I'm having way too much fun!!

2 comments:

emma said...

Isn't it all on YouTube?

I had a Madness moment the other day, and played "Our house" and "I like driving in my car" and "Baggy trousers" on Youtube. You get the videos too, so it's a whole picture of a culture. V. Educational. Ooh, look, we "did" history today... let's tell the LEA!!! :-)

Gill said...

Some of my favourites in there Allie - ooh yes, and Madness :-)