Saturday, January 05, 2008

On re-discovery, same old stuff and brave DIY

When Pearlie re-discovered her little loom the other day there was some weaving on there that was probably three, or more, years old. She finished it off. If you look closely, you can see the end she did when she was younger and the more perfect bits she's just done. I do like it when things get re-discovered. We have often given things to the children when they were too young to really enjoy them. I think that poor old P was often presented with things that she would have liked a whole lot more two or three years down the line. Is this the fate of an elder child? Anyway, I'm glad she's enjoying it now.

Leo drew this picture this evening. It is an engine. He used a new set of pens we bought him for Christmas and added colour with new pastel pencils. Click to enlarge the picture and you'll be able to see the detail better. Leo still loves to draw and does so every day. He has done this since he was a tiny toddler.

The last thing I would like to mention is a minor achievement by me and Dani. We managed to put up a curtain rail in Pearl's room. This may not sound very impressive but our house walls are so unpredictable that you can never tell what will happen if you drill a hole. Well, Dani (as lead hole driller) and I (as assistant rawl plug mangler) drilled eight holes and so far the curtains have been up for four nights without crashing down. I'm just waiting for the crash now I've boasted about it...

10 comments:

Helen said...

I love Leo's pic. His style is quite like our friend's daughter. I've always thought her stuff looked a bit like Quentin Blake's.

Nic said...

Leo's art really is very impressive :) as is Pearlie's weaving. And of course well done on the curtain pole mounting :)

a said...

All very productive! Nice to see the pics of weaving and drawing - Leo already has a distinctive style there, really interesting.
Hope the curtain pole holds

HelenHaricot said...

love leos drawing style. wow!!!
and SB also gets presents ahead of when she can actually do them. must stop doing that!

Liza said...

Hope the curtain pole stays where it is!
I was very proud of myself when I put one up in Andrews room all on my own, he has a Huge window so I was especially proud of myself. It's been there a few years now and hasn't fallen down!




*whispers*
(I will never admit to anyone ever that I stuck it on with hard as nails glue) :blush:

'EF' said...

ooh, blogger just ate my comment..shall try and remember what I said..

I am astounded at the detail in Leo's pic. I've never seen anything quite like it, he really has something there...it reminds me of Leonardo Da Vinci sketches.

Our Meadow also worked at a woven piece over four years and we have bits of embroidery kits half finished all over the place just waiting. It's lovely when they are done and dusted.

Well done with curtain rail. I reckon all young adults need a home maintenance course (as well as a first aid course) before embarking on independant life. My mum taught me how to rewire plugs and change fuses and hang doors and all sorts when I was a kid but I try not to do any of that if I can get out of it.

Nic said...

Oh and came back to say having followed your links those pens and pastels look lovely. Definitely going to top up our *nice* art supplies as soon as we can afford to. D and S do drawing daily too so I think we should furnish them with proper materials rather than the pound store offerings they have currently!

Gill said...

The weaving inspired me to do some. The curtain rails made me laugh, because that sounds sooo like our house! And the picture just made me go WOW. I love it!

Allie said...

Leo is very happy that so many people have admired his pic.

Nic, I reckon it is certainly worth buying decent supplies. I'm going to blog a couple of Pearlie's pictures later - that she has done with a new set of watercolour pencils. We have been buying good quality stuff for about three or four years now and I don't think we're out of pocket because you get so much more out of them. Pound shop pens just run out so fast.

Curtain rail still there...

Lucy said...

very impressed with drawings! and curtain rail... none of us have mastered them in this house and it seems to be an on-going issue- there's always one falling down somewhere! Agree about the art materials, results and durability are so much better when you pay a bit more.