Saturday, February 23, 2008

Flashing, splashing and stuffing our faces

Saturday 23rd February 2008

I had a brilliant time at a Flash Fiction course this morning. The woman running the course was a writer who was full of enthusiasm and she gave us exercises that brought out some wonderful stuff from many people in the group. I really love this ultra short fiction – not a word wasted. I am very inspired at the moment and hoping to keep up the energy. I did a university certificate course in creative writing about fourteen years ago – and then I did my MA (information management – for my job) and the kids came along. There was never a moment to be writing fiction and I didn’t know that I missed it – needed it. So, here’s a reminder to myself – if you feel bad you’re not writing!! I’m not sharing here, or elsewhere, because I like to think I might actually get something published one day…

I met up with Dani and the kids at the pool in town. We all went for a swim – which Leo declared to be heaven – all four of us swimming together. We popped into the library and then went to a cake and ice-cream shop for a treat. We ate lemon meringue pie, banofee pie, and ice-cream.

Now we’re watching Rosemary and Thyme – so time to go.

5 comments:

Gill said...

Well, am enjoying reading about your writing, even if we can't read your writing yet anywhere! Am sure you will get published.

Allie said...

Thanks, Gill! A vote of confidence is lovely. The writer running today's session got an agent on the strength of three short stories. Amazing things do happen!

a said...

I'm so glad writing is back in your life (remembering a couple of brief conversations we had about it last year) - it makes a huge difference in mine.
Your Saturday sounds lovely too.

Jax said...

I'm hoping that the change of career is going to free both time and energy for me to continue with writing - I've had things published in small presses before but somehow just lost the thread over the years, really really want to get back to it.

'EF' x said...

Short stories rock. Have you read Vonnegut's eight rules for writing a short story? My fave is number 4:
"Every sentence must do one of two things — reveal character or advance the action." Which helps me because i get lost in description and I am just crap at that.

Okay, okay I understand that you can't share as yet ;) But I want a signed copy of whatever comes out first in print and you have to let us be your number one fans :)