Tuesday, March 04, 2008

12, 9, 6, 3, Now meme

EF tagged me.


Twelve years ago me: LOCATION: This small terraced house in Brighton - but it felt big. CHILDREN: None - but trying for our first. We weren’t using my womb, so the main impact on me was hand-holding and train travel. JOB: Full-time library assistant in small university research unit. TRANSPORT: Bus and feet. EMPLOYEES: None. FAVE DRINK: Coca-cola and tea. LOVE INTEREST: Dani. CONTRACEPTION: Erm, no need. Quite interested in conception for the first time in my life! WISH FOR FUTURE: That little blue line on a stick and resulting baby. SPONSORS: None. HAIR: Just like it is now – short back and sides and brushed back. UNDERWEAR: Plain black or white briefs and the occasional pair of silk boxers. FAVE OUTFIT: When at an appropriate event, green, shiny ballroom dancing dress.

Nine years ago me: LOCATION: This small terraced house in Brighton – full of board boots, toys and piles of cloth nappies. CHILDREN: One. Just started thinking about number two. JOB: Part-time (10 hours per week) assistant librarian (it's a good sign when the words get reversed) in large university library. TRANSPORT: Bus and feet. EMPLOYEES: None. FAVE DRINK: Coca-cola and tea. LOVE INTEREST: Dani. CONTRACEPTION: Erm, no need. WISH FOR FUTURE: Another one of these cool baby people. SPONSORS: The state was helping out. HAIR: Just like it is now – short back and sides and brushed back. UNDERWEAR: Plain black or white briefs. FAVE OUTFIT: Whatever was not covered in mashed banana, mud or wee.

Six years ago me: LOCATION: This small terraced house in Brighton – in chaos. CHILDREN: Two. JOB: Part-time (10 hours per week) assistant librarian in smaller university library. TRANSPORT: Bus and feet. EMPLOYEES: None. FAVE DRINK: Coca-cola and tea. LOVE INTEREST: Dani. CONTRACEPTION: Erm, no need. WISH FOR FUTURE: Sleep and the chance of watching something else on TV apart from a video of The Singing Kettle. SPONSORS: The state was helping out. HAIR: just like it is now – short back and sides and brushed back. UNDERWEAR: Considerably larger black or white knickers. FAVE OUTFIT: Whatever was not covered in mashed banana, mud or wee.

Three years ago me: LOCATION: This small terraced house in Brighton – with educational wall-charts. CHILDREN: Two. JOB: Not so part-time assistant librarian (20 hours per week) in smaller university library. TRANSPORT: Bus and feet. EMPLOYEES: None. FAVE DRINK: Coca-cola and tea. LOVE INTEREST: Dani. CONTRACEPTION: Erm, no need. WISH FOR FUTURE: To feel all confident about this home ed malarkey. SPONSORS: The state had just decided to notice that Dani and I are a couple and so stopped being so generous! HAIR: Just like it is now – short back and sides and brushed back. UNDERWEAR: Same old, same old…. FAVE OUTFIT: Whatever was not covered in acrylic paint, glue or mud.

Me now: LOCATION: This small terraced house in Brighton – finally sorted with three real bedrooms. CHILDREN: Two. JOB: Not so part-time assistant librarian (20 hours per week) in smaller university library. TRANSPORT: Bus and feet. EMPLOYEES: None, unless you count the music teacher. FAVE DRINK: Tea. (Am trying not to drink Coca –Cola, on account of elder child with developing social conscience.) LOVE INTEREST: Dani. CONTRACEPTION: Erm, no need. WISH FOR FUTURE: More of this would be lovely. Would also like to win a short-story competition and see children grown in good health. SPONSORS: The state still bungs us a few quid in child benefit and tax credit. Parents help out sometimes, which is great. HAIR: Just like it is now – short back and sides and brushed back. UNDERWEAR: We finally gave in and share knickers. I favour the ones that don’t have holes in yet. FAVE OUTFIT: Whatever doesn’t feel too tight round my tummy or make me feel like mutton dressed as lamb. Am worried I might start wearing floral things…

Not tagging with this one. Too shy to ask people such *personal* questions…

7 comments:

Gill said...

That was great. Nice to see at least a few of those wishes being granted :-)

Hmmm... eek... I sometimes do wear floral.. (Sssshh!)

But only sometimes, I hasten to add.

Allie said...

TBH, I am finding it secretly liberating to enjoy the prettier side of life. It hasn't dented my love of all things a bit butch. But there is room in the world for the odd flowery tray. What is odd is that I find myself liking things that remind me of my mum and aunt. It's like they're calling to me!

Jenny said...

I really can't imagine you in a nice floral Laura ashley number!
Glad to see everything else seems to be tickett boo though ;-)

'EF' x said...

I loved your meme Allie :)

What I am finding reading others is that the personal stuff isn't really that different between us.

LOL re sharing pants. We do that, except I have to admit to prefering the 'hanging on by a string' one with holes.

Re: trying not to look like mutton dressed as lamb, am with you on that one too. I aim for mutton dressed as mutton instead.

Beyondmywildest. said...

Colin is always pretty horrified when I share his pants but him having underwear is a pretty new phenomena. He probably won't appreciate me telling anybody about the time he shared mine, lol.

You can tag me if you like, I think I'd enjoy this one.

Allie said...

Please, anyone who wants to do this - do it. You are all tagged if you like!

Just because I'm too shy to actually asked these questions, doesn't mean I'm not interested in the answers...

Nic said...

interesting read - I suspect everyone who reads my main blog already knows more than they need to about me, but might do a more selective version for M&T :). I don't believe I've ever shared pants with anyone, well certainly not that I've been aware of :D